Yellowstone is a magical place any time of year, but winter is really something special, and this photo tour takes advantage of that.
Join me as we journey into hear of Yellowstone’s winter wonderland in January 2020!
LIMITED to just six (6) photographers
America’s first national park provides plenty of photographic fodder. During my “YELLOWSTONE in WINTER~ Wildlife & Snowscapes ~ Photo Tour 2020” we find creative ways to highlight some of its famous sites as well as its iconic wildlife.
The Old Faithful Geyser Basin is world renowned and rightly so. We’ll experience it without the crushing crowds of summer. The sub-freezing temperatures turn the surrounding vegetation into photogenic “ghost trees.” The basin provides haven for winter wildlife as the thermal features warm their surroundings.
Once it grows dark, we’ll photograph the ghostly steam rising into the winter skies from the many hot pools and geysers. With any luck we’ll have clear skies to showcase the glittering stars above the sparkling snow.
We’ll also visit frozen waterfalls and journey about the park keeping our eyes peeled for wildlife activity. Bison and elk are a given. Swans, bighorn sheep, and winter-coated coyotes and bobcats are other likely subjects for our lenses. If we get lucky we may even spot a wolf.
Details coming soon
We’re still in the process of putting the finishing touches on this tour. It will take place in January 6–11, 2020.
This is an all-inclusive photo tour limited to six (6) travelers. A portion of our lodging will be at the awesome Old Faithful Snow Lodge.
If you’re interested in this tour and want us to contact you once we finish with the details please email Jeff.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN ON THIS TOUR:
- How to master manual exposure (& when it’s better than priority exposures)
- Landscape photography composition & metering tips
- Light painting techniques
- Night sky photography
- Tips for photographing in snow & ice
- What to look for to capture more interesting wildlife portraits
A note about instruction on my photo tours:
Since skills levels vary so much on photo tours, I tailor my teaching to individual needs. Please do not be shy about telling me what you need.
- Lodging & food from dinner the first evening to breakfast the last morning
- Instruction in light painting & night photography techniques
- One-on-one instruction & image review
- Transportation from Bozeman airport & back
- Snowcoach transportation inside the park
- Hot beverages, water & snacks
- Park entrance fees
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Flight to Bozeman
- Alcoholic beverages/bar tab
- Laundry or other personal expenses
- Tips for housekeeping staff & porters (we’ll take care of tips for wait staff)
Yellowstone is a high elevation, mountain environment. Elevations on this tour range from 6,000 to 8,000 feet. To participate in this tour you should have reasonable endurance for short walks with your camera gear in wintry conditions. You can do as much or as little venturing around the Old Faithful Geyser Basin as you wish when we stay there.
Wondering what sort of photography equipment you might need on a trip like this? Here’s the EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST (PDF) I send out to participants as we prepare for the tour.
NOTE: You do not have to own everything on the checklist to get good shots in this photogenic national park! It’s a list of recommended equipment. If you have any questions about the minimum lenses, etc. that will get you though, don’t hesitate to ask!
- Contact us & we’ll let you know as soon as we get the specifics completed.
- This tour will take place January 6–11, 2020.
- It will be all-inclusive (double-occupancy).
- Limited to six (6) travelers.
Please let us know if you’re interested: JParker@ExploreinFocus.com