This “Utah Landscapes and Night Skies Photo Tour 2021” focuses on the photogenic red rock landscapes and super dark skies of Capitol Reef National Park and surrounding areas. The International Dark Sky Association (IDA) has given Capitol Reef NP its rigorous Dark Sky Park designation.
Limited to six (6) photographers. This tour includes lodging (double-occupancy) and most meals.
In addition to daytime landscapes, plan to shoot the stars! This region has some of the most pristine night skies of anywhere in the continental U.S. and a tour here wouldn’t be complete without enjoying some night photography. (Of course, the weather will need to cooperate…)
This part of Utah is chock-full of amazing land forms and phenomenal photography opportunities. Most of which have few, if any, other photographers about.
During my “Utah Landscapes & Night Skies Photo Tour,” we base out of Torrey, Utah. This small town makes a perfect base of operations; from there we can reach many different landscapes within an hour’s drive. Torrey was Utah’s first Certified Dark Sky Community. There are less than 30 such communities in the United States.
From Torrey, we head out daily to find hoodoos, canyons, red rock walls and golden yellow aspen and cottonwood trees showing off their fall colors.
We don’t rush from location to location. We take our time and focus on getting you the shots you’re after!
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN ON THIS TOUR:
- How to fully work the scene
- When to use HDR and when not to
- How to focus stack
- What to look for to create a starburst in your image
- How to master manual exposure
- Night photography and light painting
- Understanding astrophotography camera settings
- Composition tips for landscapes
- How to better understand what your histogram is telling you
A note about instruction on my photo tours:
Since skills levels vary so much on photo tours, I don’t typically focus on structured lessons during these events (my workshops, however, are a far different story — they are all about structured instruction).
Instead, on photo tours, I tailor my teaching to individual needs done on a one-on-one basis. Please do not be shy about telling me what you need.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an estimated schedule and we’ll do our best to stick to this itinerary, but certain conditions may necessitate changes. Good photographic experiences will be our goals at all times.
Friday, October 15, 2021:
We’ll get together for our Welcome Dinner (included; as are most other meals – see note below about breakfast), a great chance to get to know one another and discuss the plan for our days of photography and fun.
October 16, 17 & 18:
We rise before the sun so we can be in position to take full advantage of dawn’s photo-friendly light. (See note below about meals.)
Once the light grows too harsh, it’s time for lunch and relaxation. Download your images and schedule some one-on-one consult time with me.
Afternoons, we head back out to photograph spectacular cliffs, terraces, plateaus, canyons, and more.
Weather permitting, we’ll enjoy night photography in an area with some of the darkest skies in the entire continental U.S.
Tuesday, October 19, 2021:
Sleep in and enjoy a leisurely breakfast before packing up and heading out. Don’t forget to swap contact info with your new friends. Once you’re back at home, don’t hesitate to reach out for additional image review and/or photography questions. I’d love to see some of the images you create while on this tour!
- Three (3) full days of photography.
- Night photography shoot(s) (weather permitting)
- My hands-on assistance anytime you need it
- Fun & camaraderie & new friends!
- Four (4) nights lodging (double-occupancy)
- Most meals & non-alcoholic beverages from dinner the first night through breakfast the last morning.
- Tips for meals
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
Transportation, alcoholic beverages, trip insurance, medical costs, laundry or other personal costs.
LOGISTICS, EQUIPMENT & SUCH:
We’ll drive to all shot locations and the amount of walking you desire to do once we get there will be up to you.
None of the shot locations I have in mind will necessitate serious walks or hikes, but terrain can be uneven, rocky and/or have inclines. There is also little shade and, even in October, temps can be hot. Be sure to wear a hat and sunscreen.
We will carpool to our shoots. Most of shot locations will be on paved roads, but a couple of the shot locations I have in mind that will bring us down gravel roads.
The closest airport is located in Salt Lake City, Utah (SLC). It’s about 3 1/2 hours drive from our lodge.
Please plan to arrive in Torrey, Utah on Friday, October 15, 2021 in time for our Welcome Dinner, which is tentatively set for 7:00 pm. Check-in time for your room is 2:00 pm.
LODGING & MEALS:
This tour is all-inclusive, double-occupancy. A limited number of singles are available. If you’re interested in having a room to yourself, please email me for availability and cost. We will be staying at the Rim Rock Inn.
Meals are provided from dinner Monday night (10/15/21) to breakfast on Tuesday morning (10/19/21). That said, due to shoot times & logistics we’ll be unable to go to breakfast before our morning shoots. We will provide healthy snacks (e.g. apples, KindBars, nuts, etc.) in the field, but if you’re a big breakfast eater, I highly recommend you pack something of your own. We will enjoy an early lunch as soon as the morning shoot is over. The timing of our dinners will depend on the length and locations of our evening shoots.
We’ll send out more info, including a personal-item packing list, as your photo tour grows closer.
In the meantime, wondering what sort of photography equipment you might need for this tour? Check out the EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST (PDF) for this “Utah Landscapes & Night Skies Photo Tour 2021.”
NOTE: You do not have to own everything on the checklist to get good shots of these amazing landscapes! It’s a list of recommended equipment. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask!
GENERAL INFO / SIGN UP:
- DURATION: Three (3) full days & four (4) nights, plus the evening of the Welcome Dinner
- DATES: Friday evening, October 15 — Tuesday morning, October 19, 2021
- SPACE FOR: Six (6)
- PRICE: $2,175
- DEPOSIT AMOUNT: $500
- PAYMENT DUE DATES: A total of half the cost of the tour due 6-months before departure. Remaining balance due 60 days prior to start date of tour.
Please read our Cancellation Policy before purchasing. (Follow the provided link or go to link under “MORE” on sidebar to the right.) Thanks!
- If Covid-19 virus-related issues affect your ability to attend the workshop you will be issued a full refund or credit toward any of our future events.
- In the event that we are forced to cancel due to a Covid-19-related issue you will be issued a full refund or credit toward any of our future events.
At the start of each event, we’ll ask you to sign this liability waiver. We encourage you to review it before signing up.
COVID-19: If a Covid-19 vaccine is still not widely available when this tour takes place:
- …participants will be asked to wear a mask when within six (6) feet of others (except when with a travel companion and/or lodging roommate).
- …when possible we will dine outdoors to minimize the opportunity for virus transmission. If you prefer not to dine with the group take-out will usually be an option.
- …as feasible, we will observe the Covid-19 prevention measures recommended by the Utah Department of Health.