This Utah Landscapes and Night Skies Photo Tour 2020 focuses on the photogenic red rock landscapes and super dark skies of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and surrounding areas.
In addition to daytime landscapes, plan to shoot the stars! This region has some of the most pristine night skies of anywhere in the continental U.S. and a tour here wouldn’t be complete without doing some night photography, including light painting the unique formations. (Of course, the weather will need to cooperate…)
In addition, this part of Utah is chock-full of amazing landforms and phenomenal photography opportunities. Most of which have few, if any, other photographers about. This will probably change in the future as word gets out. If you want the experience without the crowds, don’t wait! (By the way: the Monument was the very last place in the continental U.S. to be mapped.)
You’ve heard the stories and maybe experienced first hand the shoulder-to-shoulder photography experience in Utah’s iconic National Parks. But Utah landscape photography doesn’t have to be that way!
During my Utah Landscapes Photo Tour, we base out of Boulder, Utah. This tiny mountain village is perfectly located so that we can reach many different landscapes within an hour’s drive.
From Boulder, we head out daily to find hoodoos, slot canyons, red rock walls and golden yellow aspen and cottonwood trees showing off their fall colors.
We don’t rush from location to location. We take our time and focus on getting you the shots you’re after!
Limited to six (6) photographers. This tour includes lodging (double-occupancy) and meals. NOTE: Please refer to COVID-19 information below. ~ TWO (2) spots left! ~
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN ON THIS TOUR:
- How to fully work the scene
- When to use HDR and when not to
- How to focus stack
- What to look for to create a starburst in your image
- How to master manual exposure
- Night photography and light painting
- Composition tips for landscapes
- How to better understand what your histogram is telling you
A note about instruction on my photo tours:
Since skills levels vary so much on photo tours, I don’t typically focus on structured lessons during these events (my workshops, however, are a far different story — they are all about structured instruction).
Instead, on photo tours, I tailor my teaching to individual needs. Please do not be shy about telling me what you need.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an estimated schedule and we’ll do our best to stick to this itinerary, but certain conditions may necessitate changes. Good photographic experiences will be our goals at all times.
NOTE: Please refer to COVID-19 information below.
Sunday, October 11, 2020:
We’ll get together for our Welcome Dinner (included; as are your other meals), a great chance to get to know one another and discuss the plan for our days of photography and fun.
Then it’s time for a good night’s sleep in your comfortable room at the Boulder Mountain Lodge. (Lodging included, double-occupancy)
October 12, 13 & 14:
We rise early so we can be in position to take full advantage of dawn’s photo-friendly light.
Once the light grows too harsh, it’s time for lunch and relaxation. Download your images and schedule some one-on-one consult time with me.
Afternoons, we head back out to photograph spectacular cliffs, terraces, plateau, canyons, and more.
Weather and energy permitting, we’ll enjoy night photography in an area with some of the darkest skies in the entire continental U.S.
Thursday, October 15, 2020:
Sleep in and enjoy a leisurely breakfast before packing up and heading out. Don’t forget to swap contact info with your new friends. Once you’re back at home, don’t hesitate to reach out for additional image review
and/or photography questions.
- Three (3) full days of photography.
- Night photography shoot(s) (weather permitting)
- My hands-on assistance anytime you need it
- One-on-one consults with me.
- Fun & camaraderie & new friends!
- Four (4) nights lodging (double-occupancy)
- Meals & non-alcoholic beverages from dinner the first night through breakfast the last morning.
- Tips for meals
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
Transportation, alcoholic beverages, trip insurance, medical costs, laundry or other personal costs.
LOGISTICS, EQUIPMENT & SUCH:
We’ll drive to all shot locations and the amount of walking you desire to do once we get there will be up to you.
None of the shot locations I have in mind will necessitate serious walks or hikes, but terrain can be uneven, rocky and/or have inclines.
We will carpool to our shoots. Most of shot locations will be on paved roads, but there is one spot that takes us 12 miles down a gravel road.
The closest airports are located in Salt Lake City, Utah (SLC) & Page, Arizona (PGA).
They are both a little more than four hours drive from our lodge. Both have car rental agencies.
Please plan to arrive at Boulder, Utah on Sunday, October 11, 2020 in time for our Welcome Dinner, which is tentatively set for 7:00 pm. Check-in time for your room is 4:00 pm.
FOOD & LODGING:
Meals are included in your tour from the Welcome Dinner on October 11th through breakfast the morning of October 15th.
Lodging (double-occupancy) is also included. Sorry, no singles are available as our lodge is very small.
We will be staying at the Boulder Mountain Lodge.
We’ll send out more info, including packing lists, as your photo tour grows closer.
In the meantime, wondering what sort of photography equipment you might need for this tour? Check out the EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST (PDF) for this Utah Landscapes Photo Tour 2020.
NOTE: You do not have to own everything on the checklist to get good shots of these amazing landscapes! It’s a list of recommended equipment. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask!
GENERAL INFO / SIGN UP:
- DURATION: 3 days, 4 nights
- DATES: Sunday evening, October 11 — Thursday morning, October 15, 2020
- SPACE FOR: Six (6) ~ TWO (2) spots left! ~
- PRICE: $2,175 ~ includes meals & lodging
- DEPOSIT AMOUNT: $500
- PAYMENT DUE DATES: A total of half the cost of the tour due 6-months before departure. Remaining balance due 60 days prior to start date of tour.
Please read our Cancellation Policy before purchasing. (Follow the provided link or go to link under “MORE” on sidebar to the right.) Thanks!
- If Covid-19 virus-related issues affect your ability to attend the workshop you will be issued a full refund or credit toward any of our future events.
- In the event that we are forced to cancel due to a Covid-19-related issue you will be issued a full refund or credit toward any of our future events.
At the start of each event, we’ll ask you to sign this liability waiver. We encourage you to review it before signing up.
- Participants will be asked to wear a mask when within six (6) feet of others (except when with a travel companion and/or lodging roommate).
- Meals are included in your tour price. When possible we will dine outdoors to minimize the opportunity for virus transmission. If you prefer not to dine with the group take-out is an option.
- As feasible, we will observe the Covid-19 prevention measures recommended by the Utah Department of Health.