This Harpy Eagle Photo Tour 2023 will focus on the apex avian predator of the neotropical rainforest — the Harpy Eagle. It’s a perfect pairing with my Jaguars of the Pantanal Photo Tour 2023.
These eagles are among the world’s largest alongside the Philippine Eagle and Steller’s Sea Eagle. At up to 20 lbs., these birds are by far the largest raptor in the Americas.
Our destination lodge has agreements with landowners who have Harpy nests on their property. This special access gives us great chances to watch behavior and capture images as the adults come in to feed the chick.
This ALL-INCLUSIVE (double-occupancy) photo tour has space for SIX (6) ~ ONE (1) SPOT LEFT ~
In addition to the eagles, by on the lookout for macaws, monkeys, parrots, and other Amazonian wildlife. This region is amazingly rich in biodiversity. As part of the Amazon basin and located on a blackwater river we will have a variety of birds and mammals not found in the Pantanal so if you join me for both this tour & my 2023 Jaguars of the Pantanal Photo Tour you’ll photograph different species during each event.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an estimated schedule and we’ll do our best to stick to this itinerary, but certain conditions may necessitate changes. Good photographic experiences & plenty of chances to view wildlife will be our goals at all times.
- Tuesday, August 15: Arrive. Overnight in Cuiabá. Enjoy our Welcome Dinner & discuss your upcoming adventure.
- Wednesday, August 16: Domestic flight to Alta Floresta. Drive to our lodge in the Amazon.
- Thursday, August 17 ~ through ~ Saturday, August 19: Spend time at a Harpy Eagle nest. Also boat excursions on the blackwater Rio Juruena and wildlife photo opportunities on the lodge grounds.
- Sunday, August 20: Head back to Cuiabá. Download images, schedule one-on-one time with me, and relax
- Monday, August 21: For those heading to the Pantanal, that tour will begin with the Welcome Dinner tonight.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN ON THIS TOUR:
- Photographing birds in flight
- How to do pan blurs
- How to photograph wildlife through understory vegetation.
- How to master manual exposure (& when it’s better than priority exposures)
- Tips for wildlife action shots
- Tips for dealing with the water’s glare
- What makes a good wildlife image
A note about instruction on my photo tours:
Since skills levels vary so much on photo tours, I tailor my teaching to individual needs. Please do not be shy about telling me what you need.
- Double-occupancy accommodations for six (6) nights (includes 4 nights in our Amazon Lodge, 2 nights in Cuiabá. Interested in a single? Please email me for availability & pricing.)
- Meals from your arrival in Cuiabá on the first day of the tour to drop off at the Cuiabá airport on the last day of the tour.
- Welcome Dinner at an authentic churrascaria (traditional authentic Brazilian steakhouse).
- Ground transportation.
- Domestic flight to Alta Floresta
- River trips & photo boat excursions.
- Services of local guides & boat drivers.
- Permits & conservation fees.
- An extensive & detailed full-colored dossier to help you plan your international journey.
- Jeff’s guidance, instruction and image review throughout. Be sure to schedule your one-on-one session with him! (Image reviews also after you return home, too).
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
Any other lodging in Brazil that’s not included in the itinerary. Airfare to Cuiabá, travel insurance, alcoholic beverages (watch out for those caipirinhas!), canned & bottled beverages, medical expenses, laundry service, any other personal items, & tips (the extensive dossier that we provide before the tour begins will include information about tipping protocols on this tour).
LOGISTICS, EQUIPMENT & SUCH:
The best Harpy Eagle photography will be from a tower at nest level. There will be room at the top for chairs and tripods but if you have an extreme fear of heights you may be uncomfortable. Personally, I do have a fear of heights but did not have a problem with the tower. We may also take small hikes to photograph birds, tapirs, and monkeys. You’ll need to carry your equipment during these walks. Paths are dirt, but not in bad shape. There are no hills to worry about but paths may not be completely level at all times. For the boat excursions you can relax and watch the scenery and wildlife glide past.
We’ll send out an extensive dossier when your photo tour grows closer and it will include, among lots of other things, a packing list.In the meantime, if you’re wondering what sort of photography equipment you might need on a trip like this, here is the EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST (PDF) NOTE:
You do not have to own everything on the checklist to get good shots! It’s a list of recommended equipment.
If you have any questions about the minimum lenses, etc. that will get you though, please don’t hesitate to ask.
You’ll want to fly into the airport in Cuiabá (Marechal Rondon International Airport). The airport code is CGB.Please plan to arrive on August 15, 2023.Your flight will be long and you will be very tired when you arrive so we feel that it’s best that you get a good night’s sleep before we begin adventuring into the Amazon. For that reason, your tour includes lodging in Cuiabá the night before we embark.
All transportation is included in your tour once you arrive in Cuiabá.
FOOD & LODGING:
Meals are included in your tour from the Welcome Dinner on August 15th through breakfast the morning of August 20th.
Lodging (double-occupancy; singles are available for an additional amount) is also included.
U.S. & Canadian citizens do not need a visa Brazil.
GENERAL INFO / SIGN UP:
- DURATION: 5 days & 6 nights
- DATES: Tuesday, August 15 — Sunday, August 20, 2023
- PRICE: $3995 ~ ALL-INCLUSIVE (double-occupancy)
- SPACE FOR: Six (6) ~ ONE (1) SPOT LEFT ~
- DEPOSIT AMOUNT: $500
- PAYMENT DUE DATES: A total of half the cost of the tour due 6-months before departure. Remaining balance due 60-days prior to start date of tour.
Please read our Cancellation Policy before purchasing.(Follow the provided link or go to link under “MORE” on sidebar to the right.) Thanks!
At the start of each event, we’ll ask you to sign this liability waiver. We encourage you to review it before signing up.