During this “Ecuador Hummingbirds & More Photo Tour ~ 2020” the focus be on the winged wildlife of this amazingly biodiverse little nation. We’re still firming up the details of the itinerary, but the plan is to visit as many different ecoregions as time and travel distances allow so that we can create images of as many unique species as possible.
This tour will be LIMITED to eight (8) travelers.
We’ll do lots of multi-flash hummingbird photography. I’ll provide the equipment & backgrounds & other items needed to get great shots. The small group size assures that everyone gets a chance to use the set-ups to their hearts’ content.
Expect also to photograph tanagers, motmots, toucans, manakins, euphonias & the improbable looking Cock-of-the-Rock.
Details coming soon
We’re still in the process of putting the finishing touches on this tour. It will take place February 22–29, 2020.
This is an all-inclusive photo tour limited to eight (8) travelers (double-occupancy).
If you’re interested & want us to contact you once we finish with the details please email Jeff.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN ON THIS TOUR:
- How to balance flash & natural light in hummingbird photography
- How to set up your own multi-flash high-speed hummingbird photography
- Techniques to get images featuring both sharp or blurred wings
- How to master manual exposure (& when it’s better than priority exposures)
- How to create the sorts of set-ups that make the best bird photographs
- How to create natural-looking images even when using flash
- Where to put your flashes & how to do them remotely
- How to increase your chances of getting in-focus shots of hummingbirds & other little birds at set-ups
- How to handle the low-light conditions of a rain/cloudforest.
A note about instruction on my photo tours:
Since skills levels vary so much on photo tours, I tailor my teaching to individual needs. Please do not be shy about telling me what you need.
• 8 nights double-occupancy accommodation
• 7 full days of photography fun & exploration
• Jeff’s one-on-one review &/or instructional time
• Jeff’s instruction & photography tips throughout
• Meals & non-alcoholic beverages from dinner on February 22nd through dinner the evening of February 29th
• The use of multi-flash, high-speed hummingbird photography set-ups, which include radio triggers, lighting, & backgrounds
• Jeff’s instruction on high-speed hummer photography
• An in-depth dossier
• The services of a local guide to maximize our chances of locating our feathered subjects
• Entrance to all reserves & parks
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
• Trip insurance
• Health insurance & medical needs
• Personal items
• Phone calls
• Laundry service
• Alcoholic beverages
• Tips (The dossier we provide before your trip includes info about tipping protocol for this tour.)
LOGISTICS, EQUIPMENT & SUCH:
We will update this once we firm up the specific itinerary.
You’ll want to fly into the airport in Quito, Mariscal Sucre International Airport (Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional Mariscal Sucre). The airport code is UIO.
Please plan to arrive in Quito by 3:00 pm February 22, 2020 if possible. We’ll begin the tour with a Welcome Dinner that evening.
U.S. & Canadian citizens do not need to procure a visa before arriving to Ecuador. Once you enter the country, you’ll automatically get a stamp in your passport that serves as a tourist visa (good for 90 days).
You will receive an extensive dossier as your photo tour grows closer and it will include, among lots of other things, packing lists for both photography equipment & personal items.
In the meantime, if you’re wondering what sort of photography equipment you might need for your “Winged Wonders of Ecuador Photo Tour,” here is the EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST (PDF) I send out with the dossier.
NOTE: You do not have to own everything on the checklist. It’s a list of recommended equipment. If you have any questions about the minimum lenses, etc. that will get you though, don’t hesitate to ask!
- Contact us & we’ll let you know as soon as we get the specifics completed.
- This tour will take place February 22–February 29, 2020.
- It will be all-inclusive (double-occupancy).
- Limited to eight (8) travelers.
Please let us know if you’re interested: JParker@ExploreinFocus.com