This Colorado Aspen Photo Tour 2020 focuses on capturing beautiful landscape images of the stunning fall color in the San Juan Mountains. These jagged, photogenic peaks are considered the Switzerland of America!
During my Colorado Aspen Photo Tour 2020, we base out of the town of Ouray (pronounced “you-RAY”). With its natural hot springs and Victorian-era architecture, this tiny town is a photo-worthy destination in its own right. (You might even want to arrive one day early so you can explore & acclimate to the town’s elevation of approx. 7,800 feet.) In 1983, Ouray was designated a National Historic District.
From Ouray we head out daily to let our lenses loose on these golden slopes. With their autumn hues, quaking aspen and oaks contrast richly with evergreens such as Engelmann spruce, Colorado blue spruce, and ponderosa pine. We’ll also incorporate picturesque waterfalls and streams into our shots.
And…weather permitting…plan to do some night photography as well.
Throughout the tour, we’ll take our time. No rushing from location to location! We stay at each sweet spot until every person in our group has had the chance to create the images she/he wants.
Limited to six (6) photographers. The tour includes lodging (double-occupancy) and meals. (**NOTE: Please refer to COVID-19 information below.) ~ SOLD OUT! ~ Please email me if you’d like to be on the Wait List.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN ON THIS TOUR:
- How to create mountain landscape images
- When to use HDR and when not to
- Tips for panoramas
- Night photography (weather permitting)
- How to salvage a photo shoot when it’s windy
- How to get that silky look with flowing water
- How to work a scene so you get every last good shot out of it
- How to better understand what your histogram is telling you
A note about instruction on my photo tours:
Since skills levels vary so much on photo tours, I don’t typically focus on structured lessons during these events (my workshops, however, are a far different story — they are all about structured instruction). Instead, on photo tours, I tailor my teaching to individual needs. Please do not be shy about telling me what you need.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an estimated schedule and we’ll do our best to stick to this itinerary, but certain conditions may necessitate changes. Good photographic experiences will be our goals at all times.
(**NOTE: Please refer to COVID-19 information below.)
Monday September 28:
Plan to gather for our Welcome Dinner (meals included in your tour) to talk about our upcoming days of fun and get to know one another a bit.
If you’re up for it, you can take a dip in the hotel’s hot springs before hitting the sack (lodging included at Hot Springs Inn).
September 29 & 30, October 1:
Head out before dawn to create fantastic shots of stunning fall colors. Watch the sun rise over the rugged peaks of the San Juans and smile!
I’ll lead you up into the gorgeous San Juan Mountains for the sunrise while you capture some great images. Return to town for lunch, relaxation in the hot springs, a nap, downloading, image review, etc.
Then, come afternoon, we head back out to the “hills” in time to catch the sweet light.
One day during the tour we’ll also catch the Durango & Silverton steam train coming into town and photograph it. In the 1960s, the railway was designated both a National Historic Landmark and a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark.
Weather and energy permitting, we also hope to have fun doing some night photography, perhaps using one of the area’s old mines as a model!
Friday, October 2:
Sleep in past sunrise before saying goodbye to new friends and heading home.
- Three (3) full days of photography (at least six  shoots)
- Weather permitting: night time photography shoot
- My hands-on assistance when you need it
- Image review as desired
- Meals & non-alcoholic drinks from the first night of the tour through breakfast the last day of the tour
- Double-occupancy accommodations for four (4) nights
- Fun & camaraderie & new friends!
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
Any lodging outside the tour dates. Travel insurance, alcoholic beverages, medical expenses, laundry service or any other personal items.
LOGISTICS, EQUIPMENT & SUCH:
We’ll drive to all shot locations and the amount of walking you desire to do once we get there will be up to you. None of the shot locations I have in mind will necessitate serious walks or hikes, but hillsides here can slope quite a bit and be rather steep at times.
In addition, you’ll need to be comfortable with being in a vehicle on dirt roads.
We will be at elevations from 7800 to 12,500 feet. For this reason, if you live someplace with low elevation I highly suggest you arrive a day early so that your body can acclimate to the elevation by the time we head out for our first shoot.
The closest airport is in Montrose. The Montrose Regional Airport is about 40 miles from Ouray.
At 86 miles from Ouray, the Durago-La Plata County Airport provides another option.
Please plan to arrive at Ouray, Colorado on Monday, September 28, 2020 in time for our Welcome Dinner, which is tentatively set to begin at 7:00 pm.
LODGING: & MEALS
Your tour includes meals from the Welcome Dinner on September 28th through breakfast the morning of October 1st. (**NOTE: Please refer to COVID-19 information below..)
Lodging at the Hot Springs Inn (double-occupancy) is also included.
We’ll send out more info, including packing lists, as your photo tour grows closer.
In the meantime, wondering what sort of photography equipment you might need for this tour? Check out the EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST (PDF) for COLORADO ASPEN PHOTO TOUR.
NOTE: You do not have to own everything on the checklist to get good shots of these amazing landscapes! It’s a list of recommended equipment. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask!
GENERAL INFO / SIGN UP:
- DURATION: 3 days, 4 nights
- DATES: Monday evening, September 28 ~ Thursday night, October 1, 2020
- SPACE FOR: Six (6) ~ SOLD OUT! ~
- PRICE: $1,995 – Includes meals & lodging (double-occupancy)
- DEPOSIT AMOUNT: $500
- PAYMENT DUE DATES: A total of half the cost of the tour due 6-months before departure. Remaining balance due 60 days prior to start date of tour.
Please read our Cancellation Policy before purchasing.(Follow the provided link or go to link under “MORE” on sidebar to the right.) Thanks!
- If Covid-19 virus-related issues affect your ability to attend the workshop you will be issued a full refund or credit toward any of our future events.
- In the event that we are forced to cancel due to a Covid-19-related issue you will be issued a full refund or credit toward any of our future events.
At the start of each event, we’ll ask you to sign this liability waiver. We encourage you to review it before signing up.
- Participants will be asked to wear a mask when within six (6) feet of others (except when with a travel companion and/or lodging roommate).
- Group meals will be outdoors whenever possible. Those who would prefer not to dine with the group can request take-out meals.
- As feasible, we will observe the Covid-19 prevention measures recommended by Colorado DPHE.