This “Colorado Aspen Photo Tour 2021” focuses on capturing beautiful landscape images of the stunning fall color in the San Juan Mountains. These jagged, photogenic peaks are considered the Switzerland of America!
During my Colorado Aspen Photo Tour 2021, we base out of the town of Ouray (pronounced “you-RAY”). With its natural hot springs and Victorian-era architecture, this tiny town is a photo-worthy destination in its own right. (You might even want to arrive one day early so you can explore & acclimate to the town’s elevation of approx. 7,800 feet.) In 1983, Ouray was designated a National Historic District.
From Ouray we head out daily to let our lenses loose on these golden slopes. With their autumn hues, quaking aspen and oaks contrast richly with evergreens such as Engelmann spruce, Colorado blue spruce, and ponderosa pine.
And…weather permitting…plan to do some night photography as well.
Throughout the tour, we’ll take our time. No rushing from location to location! We stay at each sweet spot until every person in our group has had the chance to create the images she/he wants.
Limited to six (6) photographers. The tour includes lodging (double-occupancy) and most meals. (See note below about breakfast.) A limited number of single occupancies are available for an additional $394.00 due at the time you make your tour deposit.
WHAT YOU CAN LEARN ON THIS TOUR:
- How to create mountain landscape images
- When to use HDR and when not to
- Tips for panoramas
- Night photography (weather permitting)
- How to salvage a photo shoot when it’s windy
- How to work a scene so you get every last good shot out of it
- How to better understand what your histogram is telling you
A note about instruction on my photo tours:
Since skills levels vary so much on photo tours, I don’t typically focus on structured lessons during these events (my workshops, however, are a far different story — they are all about structured instruction).
Instead, on photo tours, I tailor my teaching to individual needs. Please do not be shy about telling me what you need.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an estimated schedule and we’ll do our best to stick to this itinerary, but certain conditions may necessitate changes. Good photographic experiences will be our goals at all times.
Monday September 27:
Plan to gather for our Welcome Dinner (most meals included in your tour ~ see note below about breakfast) to talk about our upcoming days of fun and get to know one another a bit.
If you’re up for it, you can take a dip in the hotel’s hot springs before hitting the sack (double-occupancy lodging included; want your own room? A limited number of single occupancy spots are available for an additional $394.00).
September 28 , 29 & 30:
Head out before dawn to create fantastic shots of stunning fall colors. Watch the sun rise over the rugged peaks of the San Juans and smile!
I’ll lead you up into the gorgeous San Juan Mountains for the sunrise while you capture some great images. Return to town for lunch, relaxation in the hot springs, a nap, downloading, image review, etc.
Then, come afternoon, we head back out to the “hills” in time to catch the sweet light.
One day during the tour we’ll also catch the Durango & Silverton steam train coming into town and photograph it. In the 1960s, the railway was designated both a National Historic Landmark and a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark.
Weather and energy permitting, we also hope to have fun doing some night photography, perhaps using one of the area’s old mines as a model!
Friday, October 1:
Sleep in past sunrise before saying goodbye to new friends and heading home.
- Three (3) full days of photography (at least six  shoots)
- Weather permitting: night time photography shoot
- My hands-on assistance when you need it
- Image review as desired
- Most meals & non-alcoholic drinks from the first night of the tour through breakfast the last day of the tour
- Double-occupancy accommodations for four (4) nights
- Fun & camaraderie & new friends!
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
Any lodging outside the tour dates. Travel insurance, alcoholic beverages, medical expenses, laundry service or any other personal items.
LOGISTICS, EQUIPMENT & SUCH:
We’ll drive to all shot locations and the amount of walking you desire to do once we get there will be up to you. None of the shot locations I have in mind will necessitate serious walks or hikes, but hillsides here can slope quite a bit and be rather steep at times.
In addition, you’ll need to be comfortable with being in a vehicle on dirt roads.
We will be at elevations from 7800 to 11,000 feet. For this reason, if you live someplace with low elevation I highly suggest you arrive a day early so that your body can acclimate to the elevation by the time we head out for our first shoot.
The closest airport is in Montrose. The Montrose Regional Airport is about 40 miles from Ouray.
At 86 miles from Ouray, the Durago-La Plata County Airport provides another option.
Please plan to arrive at Ouray, Colorado on Monday, September 27, 2021 in time for our Welcome Dinner, which is scheduled to begin at 7:00 pm.
Your tour includes most meals from the Welcome Dinner on September 27th through breakfast the morning of October 1st. Please note: Due to shoot times & logistics we’re unable to go to breakfast before our morning shoots. We will provide healthy snacks (e.g. apples, KindBars, nuts, etc.) in the field, but highly recommend you pack breakfast items in case you need more for breakfast. We enjoy an early lunch as soon as the morning shoot is over. The timing of dinner will depend upon the evening shoot.
We’ll send out more info, including packing lists, as your photo tour grows closer.
In the meantime, wondering what sort of photography equipment you might need for this tour? Check out the EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST (PDF) for COLORADO ASPEN PHOTO TOUR.
NOTE: You do not have to own everything on the checklist to get good shots of these amazing landscapes! It’s a list of recommended equipment. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask!
GENERAL INFO / SIGN UP:
- DURATION: 3 days, 4 nights
- DATES: Monday evening, September 27 ~ Thursday night, October 1, 2021
- SPACE FOR: Six (6)
- PRICE: $2175 – Includes most meals & lodging (double-occupancy; for singles, email me for price & availability)
- DEPOSIT AMOUNT: $500
- PAYMENT DUE DATES: A total of half the cost of the tour due 6-months before departure. Remaining balance due 60 days prior to start date of tour.
Please read our Cancellation Policy before purchasing.(Follow the provided link or go to link under “MORE” on sidebar to the right.) Thanks!
- If Covid-19 virus-related issues affect your ability to attend the workshop you will be issued a full refund or credit toward any of our future events.
- In the event that we are forced to cancel due to a Covid-19-related issue you will be issued a full refund or credit toward any of our future events.
At the start of each event, we’ll ask you to sign this liability waiver. We encourage you to review it before signing up.
COVID-19: If a Covid-19 vaccine is still not widely available when this tour takes place:
- …participants will be asked to wear a mask when within six (6) feet of others (except when with a travel companion and/or lodging roommate).
- …when possible we will dine outdoors to minimize the opportunity for virus transmission. If you prefer not to dine with the group take-out will usually be an option.